Help Me Grow of Cuyahoga County supports families in helping their young children grow, learn, and develop to their fullest potential.
You are here:
Home > Community Resources > SAFE SLEEP
One of the easiest things you can do to keep your baby safe is to give them a safe place to sleep. Cuyahoga County Help Me Grow is a proud member of our local safe sleep campaign which promotes the ABC’s of safe sleep: “Babies should sleep Alone, on their Backs, in a bare naked Crib.” How will you know if you have a safe sleep space for your baby? Follow these important tips and share them with anyone who may be watching your baby while they sleep.
- Baby is put to sleep on his/her back (remember, babies need supervised tummy time when they are awake to help them grow)
- Baby sleeps on a firm mattress in a crib, pack-n-play or bassinette
- Baby sleeps alone
- Baby does NOT sleep on a couch, sofa or other soft furniture
- Baby sleeps in a “bare naked” crib
- Baby sleeps in an area that is free of toys, bumper pads, pillows, loose blankets or other soft items
- Dress the baby, not the bed. Use a sleep sack or appropriate pajamas for the temperature of the room
- Keep the temperature of the room cool but comfortable
- Baby can be offered a pacifier at sleep time
- Baby sleeps in a smoke free, drug free, alcohol free environment
For more information on safe sleep, take a look at this Safe Sleep Brochure.